The Gingko Tree

Each winter, we smell the reek of the rotting gingko fruit.
Each spring, we marvel at the budding of the trees leaves and the increased production of fruit.
Each summer, the boughs shade the yard from the scorching sun.
Each fall, we are graced with the beauty of a golden delight of leaves that signal the turning of the seasons.

What does one do a with a "nuisance"? Admittedly, the tree drops pungently smelling fruit that fill the yard, the leaves do not compost unless they are shredded, and the 70 years of growth is somewhat taking of over the yard. How can I in good conscience though chop the tree down? I am torn because it seems so modern to merely chop the problem down. The tree, every year, has continued to produce fruit. For the 70 years that people have lived in my house, have they too not also cleaned up the mess? Who am I am to impose my demand for convince upon the magnificent expression of life? Truly, it is a sight to behold. I watched it sway in the wind for a few minutes while Noël read part of a book to me, and I amazed by its ability to sway and bend against the strong forces of the stiff wind.

Why do I simply want to remove anything that inconveniences me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake