Just another existential crisis
"Mr. Vincent," they said, "We do not understand what to do in your class."
Statements like this take me aback--only because I believe that I clearly communicate what can be done. What are big ideas that occur in Romeo and Juliet? Is it not clear that love is in conflict with hate--and that love wins?
As a new teacher, I continue to pass through a purification process. Each day I am forced to think not of what I want or need, but what the students want or need. This requires me to shed my personal expectations of school so that I can empathize with the students. How can I best teach them? What do they understand? What should I do during my successive 65-minute performances? However, this does lead to a more befuddling but important question: what is teaching?
Several times a week I have the same mini-crisis: What does it mean to be a teacher? On occasion, I have soothed these existential nerves by looking to:
Statements like this take me aback--only because I believe that I clearly communicate what can be done. What are big ideas that occur in Romeo and Juliet? Is it not clear that love is in conflict with hate--and that love wins?
As a new teacher, I continue to pass through a purification process. Each day I am forced to think not of what I want or need, but what the students want or need. This requires me to shed my personal expectations of school so that I can empathize with the students. How can I best teach them? What do they understand? What should I do during my successive 65-minute performances? However, this does lead to a more befuddling but important question: what is teaching?
Several times a week I have the same mini-crisis: What does it mean to be a teacher? On occasion, I have soothed these existential nerves by looking to:
- The teacher evaluation that is published by the state,
- Common core standards,
- Answers provided by theorists (currently Harold Bloom, Neil Postman, and Danah Boyd),
- Even my own answers (crazy, I know, solving my own problems).
And then the moment passes. It is time for 4th period. I am too tired to continue thinking about that. A student comes in for help. Something happens to interrupt this thought.
. . . But, are these not the most important questions to answer: How do I teach? How can they best learn?
Comments
Post a Comment