Good

It could be possible that this realization is something that has already occurred to many people; however, it first came to me last night. Thankfully, Teresa made dinner for us all last night, which allowed me a bit of liberty after work and before Michael and Noël came home. Upon entering the house I immediately recognized that the dogs had a lot of excess energy. So, I decided that a trip to Cowiche Canyon was due, which fit in nicely with a few errands I needed to run. The quick trip (15 min) to the trailhead was not an inconvenience. Nor was the experience inconveniencing.
The dogs had a great time. They ran. They sniffed. They ranged. They were happy. What also made it fulfilling was the perfect fall weather, the light breeze, and the way that light shone through the clouds and arced their light across the huge sky. And then I had the thought . . .

I want to be a good dog owner. I want to get better at it. I want to work at it. I want to make the effort to care for the little things and see that I improve.

Now, this could seem unremarkable, but it marks the first time I had spontaneously thought about excellence in a non-"normal" area of life. Of course I want to be a good husband, family member, and worker, but I hadn't ever thought about being a good dog owner. Plus, this idea had momentum to inspire other thoughts. These other thoughts included:
"What else do I want to be good at?"
"Is it a valuable thing to be a good pet owner?"
"Why didn't I think about this earlier, because the feeling of being good at this is so great?"
"Do the decisions, intentions, dreams, and language of my life align with the goals I have of being good at ______?"

So, what do you/I want to be good at?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake