Appetites

34 Days from my last final exam of the spring and 65 days until my next round of classes I have decided to come out of academic hibernation. After a brief check of my normal scheudle, I found 4 open hours in the afternoon and evening that were not allocated to something essential like eating, sleeping, grooming, commuting, working, 10 minute napping, household maintenance. On the first day of this new schedule I purchased study materials for the GRE, walked 2 miles, studied, began developing a study plan, and read a few sections from Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy.

As an aspiring medievalist I am obliged to read this book because (of peer pressure) and because it is a major text that influenced how people dealt with and understood life. Many works and popular game shows use his analogy of Fortune and her wheel, especially when trying to understand life's hardships, the role of Providence, and how we deal with the ups and downs that Fortune puts us through.

While reading I found this quote to be nerdily relevant to a conversation I had with a buddy from work today about consumption, and how new (Apple) electronic components fit into a a new class of devices that tap into a new market--the consumption of information. However, after reading Boethius, it did not relieve my desires to want the "Truly Magical Product".

If Plenty from her well-stocked horn

with generous hand should distribute

as many gifts as grains of sand

the sea churns up when strong winds blow,

or stars that shine on starlit nights,

the human race would still repeat

its querulous complaints.


Though God should gratify their prayers

with open-handed gifts of gold

and furbish greed with pride of rank,

all that God gave would seem as naught.

Rapacious greed soon swallows all

And opens other gaping mouths;

No reins will serve to hold in check

the headlong course of appetite

once such largess has fanned the flames

of lust to have and hold:

No man is rich who shakes and groans

convinced that he needs more.

(Boethius 26)


Boethius. The Consolation of Philosophy. Trans. Victory Watts. Penguin Books: London, 1999. Print.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake