Trés long temps
I was driving home from work today in the contraption and was thinking about a short conversation I was having with someone at work. He off-handily mentioned something about an inventory transaction that was messed up--he simply said he wished people would think more. I then told him briefly about the second chapter of Matthew Crawford's book Shop Class as Soulcraft. In it Crawford suggests that a change in the field of craftsmanship and manufacturing after Ford and Deming develop efficient means of manufacturing and scientific management away from true craftsman to "button pushers". To this my coworker told me some of his interesting insights that he gives to his teenage son along the lines of not being impatient, and that it takes a lont time to get good at something, etc.
It was on my drive home that I tried classify meaningful/good things in life and whether they take a long time or not. Here is my list of good things that will probably take a long time to get good at:
-Knowing God
-developing a career
-becoming a better husband
-finishing grad school
-learning how to cook better
... which is interesting to me, because these are the things that matter most to me--interesting because they all require a very long time to develop. Because who ever remembers that one time you at at McDonalds--in contrast, I can remember everything that I made from scratch this past week and how it tasted. Mmm mm good.
It was on my drive home that I tried classify meaningful/good things in life and whether they take a long time or not. Here is my list of good things that will probably take a long time to get good at:
-Knowing God
-developing a career
-becoming a better husband
-finishing grad school
-learning how to cook better
... which is interesting to me, because these are the things that matter most to me--interesting because they all require a very long time to develop. Because who ever remembers that one time you at at McDonalds--in contrast, I can remember everything that I made from scratch this past week and how it tasted. Mmm mm good.
Comments
Post a Comment