Beach

Spring break meant two things for me as a kid. Outlet mall shopping and Niceville, Florida. A few other things of course, but these two mainly stick out. My mom's mom lived there and we would pack up the Toyota van with clothes, kids, and our annual ration of fruit snacks and make the 770 mile drive to spend a few days with grandma. I have vivid memories of eating at Nicameto's and having to choose from their menu of fresh Gulf catches, watching the same movies over and over--classics like Feds and Police Academy, playing mini-golf on the neglected course at the community center, swimming at the pool, a trip to the nearby outlet mall to buy the year's clothes and going to the beach at least twice. We would pack lunches, swim, and I would (I guess) play in the sand because I was in elementary school.

Megan and Derek lived in California for six years. Three times I got to come out and spend time doing touristy things and always going to the beach. Beach activities would include wetting my long locks, boogie boarding, and feeding the seagulls. Now that I actually live within 15 minutes of the beach it has become something entirely different. I go to the beach maybe once or twice a week for lunch. I have a favorite spot where I call Noel, eat my sandwich, and watch the surfers. On the weekends Noël and I explore different beaches that are close. I no longer build sand castles or make the rookie mistake of feeding the wildlife; instead, we explore tide pools, look for shells, look for the perfect wave, or skirt the shore trying not to get our shoes wet in the surf. With the exception of times spent at the wilderness (and not properly marked properties) of Lake Fort Phantom in Abilene, I have never known large expanses of natural habitats. Of course I have been to my share of parks, botanical gardens, and even been on Wilderness Trek twice, but I have never had a local natural spot... and that is what the beach is to me now.

Comments

  1. I'm glad that you appreciate it! Many locals probably just drive by without ever stopping or exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! I LOVE the beach, it's so wonderful that you both take the time to enjoy the beautiful scenery that you live in!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake