Water and things that are Texan

Two points of interest that I discovered within the past day have to do with Californians and water.
1. The Ocean. It seems to be vogue to live near the ocean but never actually go to the beach. In November I was having a conversation with two co-workers, who were both native Huntington Beach residents. They were saying how they never went to the beach, even though they both live about 3 miles from it. One guy said that it has been several years since he has been to the beach. He just didn't like it. The idea came back into my head the other day when I was at the beach during my lunch break. No one was there. A handful of surfers, a few joggers iPodding along, and what looked like two tourist families. It is my summation that the closer you live to the beach, the more infrequently you will actually go. How sad.
2. One thing that will get people talking in California is rain. Both at Costco and at work I heard several people talking about the rain this weekend. Blah blah blah. It rained a little bit last night--just enough to water my porch plants. I would just like for these southern Californians to weather a nor'easter or a major line of thunderstorms, as it rips through your little west Texas town. That is the kind of rain that merits conversation. The kind of rain that floods thoroughfares, raises the water table, or enables you to kayak down your own street with wife and poodle--that is the kind of rain to talk about.
At times, I do miss Texas.

3. My final point can only be answered by a limited portion of my readership, which is limited already. To qualify to answer you,
a. Must have attended ACU or knew of ACU intimately
b. Must have lived outside of Texas for more than a year of your life.
My question is this: Are Siggies or Kojies more representative of the traditional "Texan Girl?"

Comments

  1. After much deliberation, D and I have come to the conclusion that Kojies are traditional Texas girls-bigger hair, more made up, but still nice. Siggies are the traditional sweet country girls.

    And amen about the rain thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and I came to the opposite conclusion...but for the same reasons that Megan listed!! lol! I was a Kojie and all the girls that were Kojies when I was in club were more down-to-earth, natural looking (not tons of makeup), and not big haired girls. Mike voted Siggies as more representative of Texan Girls because they're more "air-headed, big-haired, lots of makeup" girls! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Megan, it did take much deliberation. I conclude that Siggies are definitely more of the Texas christian college girl stereotype, but Kojies are much more of the "Texan Girl". They have big personalities, are loud, made up, and more outwardly friendly.
    My question though is who would label themselves anything ending in -ggie or -jie? The intonation at the end of -ggie and -jie has so much potential for being cute"-sie" and group"-ie" and dit"-sie" and flit"-sie" and prett"-ie" and ugh now I'm going "-ie" craz"-ie"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok- I being a Kojie agree that they're more the "texas girl" in the fact that they're stylish, outgoing and friendly. You always should put your best face forward, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake