Bye bye REI. Hello lions.
Sunday afternoon after church, Noel and I ventured to Caspers Regional Park for an afternoon of exploration. From what I read online, it was primitive and remote: qualities not often found in Orange County. After handing the park ranger our $5 for our day use permit, she handed me a receipt that was stapled to a sheet of paper and our maps of the trails. The paper warned and instructed individuals how to react when faced with a mountain lion. "Do not run!" read the first line. "Wave your arms. Make noise. Throw rocks. Stand your ground," read the following lines. There were signs at the trail head noting of the inherent dangers, which of course included mountain lions.Now, I have hiked trails that were dangerous. James and I went hiking in Sequoia National Forrest which warns of black bears. I even saw one from about 100 feet away, rolling through our camp; but, not a moment went by on Sunday when I didn't think that a mountain lion was going to spring from the bushes and get me. My eyes were divided between the beautiful landscape and searching for paw prints on our trail. Unfortunately, I was not able to see the elusive mountain lion in person.
Also to be noted is that I was able to break the convention in my mind concerning appropriate apparel for adventures by simply hiking in my nice clothes and my tennis shoes. I had previously thought it necessary to always being wearing the right clothes for outdoor adventures, which includes moisture wicking fabrics and steel-shanked hiking boots or shoes. Let it be known that although nice, convenient and trendy, such articles are not needed to enjoy a mountain lion inhabited wilderness-- each individual can be afraid of bushes that might be harboring rabid felines wearing their Sunday's best.
Mountain lions are one of So Cal's special treats. Another one is coyotes. I once spotted a lonely coyote wandering down Main Street in Alhambra during a summer day.
ReplyDeleteb.t.w. Have you seen BSG:Razor? It's a must see prior to final season kick-off.
lol... did you have a pocket knife with you... in case you had to fight one off?!?
ReplyDelete