I would like to thank Matt Boisvert for his recommendation of the book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I have only read 1/3 of the book, but so far, it has been a great book and expect it to make it to the top tier. This book actually falls into two of my favorite categories of books: the underdog genre and overarching social change genre. I loved 1984 because I wanted Winston to win. He was only one man and he fought for the truth... too bad the rats got him in the end. I really enjoyed reading Brave New World for the overarching social implications-- a theme that is obvious in Atlas Shrugged.
Why books? Why not just rent a movie? There is a world that can be created in our mind when we read a book. Complexities can be strung and re-strung in the webs of our minds as we read. Imagination has a chance to flourish. Seeing is believing when we rely only upon our eyes, but when we read, thinking is believing. I once was in a group when someone asked the "Super-power" question. Of course there was flying, the regeneration of cells, and other X-men type qualities, but then someone said: "I wish I could be able to read a book only by touching it. I could walk through libraries and book stores and glean wisdom at the touch of my fingers."

Advice for the day:
-Drink at least one good cup of coffee
-Never live in a geographic area that specializes in trapping any type of pollution, airborne particles, or smoke from nearby wildfire (*cough Bakersfield cough*)
-Buy or give something to someone else

Dave Cockrum and Dan Green, X-Men #107
© and ™ by Marvel Characters, Inc.

Comments

  1. I was just recommended that book by someone as well. Glad to hear it is good. I will have to pick it up.

    Books > Movies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff Giddens19/8/07

    patty v -

    funny you should be in california, I am sitting in LAX right now as I write this. I was working for a design firm downtown, but quit it and decided to chase music for a while, playing with a country guy named Owen Temple and loving it. On the profitable side of things, I started my own business in conjunction with my dad's publishing house to help retailers and people with great products market to affinity groups, specifically alumni. what are you doing in california, better, what are you GOING to be doing in oregon? email me jeff at jgiddens.com to continue this dialog, unless you prefer comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake