Breathing in death

New York Times, picture

Last night, Noël and I had dinner with some new friends in Bakersfield. They were interested in our little jaunt to China. They asked us why we left. To that, I said, "Well, the air was poisonous." The New York Times recently ran a story about the pollution in China. It is about as bad as you can imagine. Perhaps, you have seen the smog of L.A. or in Denver. I would say that any city in China that has more than 3 million people, that the pollution was about 2X to 3X as bad as those cities. ULEV vehicles are a joke, industry is not clean, carbon credits is untranslatable into Chinese, and the land, air, and water are being polluted by Industrial Revolution-esque development of 20th Century polluting industry*. (Translated into English *bad) Noel and I have been back for nearly two weeks and our lungs are still recovering from the damage done in China. Our friend Craig went to a doctor's visit this past January and he asked how long Craig had smoked, because he had the lungs of a smoker of 10 years. He told him simply that he had lived in China for 3 years.
I am not going to go green on anyone, but it is unfortunate that the world's most populous country is poisoning so many people. How to do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake