Random

Did you know that a 10 lbs. sack of potatoes costs less than a package of potato chips? Until I had Noel cook things from scratch, I had no idea how easy it was to make pretty much anything. Did you know that you could make cinnomon rolls from scratch? Or bread, or pancakes, or mashed potatoes, or anything? Seriously, it is so much cheaper to make your own stuff, and all you have to do is go to allrecipes.com and find something that sounds good. But, I guess many of you already knew this. I am a little dense in some places.


A few days ago Paul, Michael and I went to the beach to go surfing and boogie boarding. It was very crowded, and the water was cold. Most people were in the water sans protective clothing, but some had wetsuits.
(Sidenote) There is something that underlies the culture in California. You are either cool, or not. This cool/not thing actually matters to people. You either wear surf clothes like everyone else, or you are not cool. The current is so strong that it alters the way people think about each other. When Noel first met me I was wearing my yellow North Face rain jacket, a brown, polyester, pearlsnap, 2nd hand longsleeve shirt, jeans, and my hiking boots. She thought I was a total dork and my only redeaming quality was that I was reading a huge book (Les Miserables). Cool or not matters to people here.
(Continuing) So there Paul and I were... sitting on the beach because the waves were going too big for boogie boarders... when all of a sudden this looming 6'5" man and his matched and gangly 15 year son came sauntering down the beach at a brisk pace with their boogie boards under arm. No big deal, until the man, who was about 55, turns to his son and yells out, "Too bad we forgot our FULL LENGTH WETSUIT WHEN IT IS 70 OUTSIDE. BWAHAHAHA." He actually bwahahahaed at us. I turned to paul and said that I wouldn't need a wetsuit if my body did as good of a job at insulating itself as his did. Evidently in beach culture you always have to be cold (Full length in the winter, 3/4 in spring, and none in the summer) because cold is cool, which is better than being warm and not cool.
I love California.

Comments

  1. I have to admit...I would have bwahahaha'd at you if I saw you wearing a full wetsuit in the middle of the summer! That is freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you havn't worn your dinosaur t-shirt while you are in California! :) They may not think that is as cool as we did in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the water in Cali only gets up to 55F in the summer, I believe you always have an excuse to wear a wetsuit. Your choice is wear a suit and have fun or freeze your nipples off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you factor in the hourly wage for peeling, sliceing, seasoning, and baking or frying 10 pounds of potatoes?

    Granted there are some things that are cheaper to make...but chips aren't worth the time! Now baby food on the other hand....

    ReplyDelete
  5. no matter what you wear....you will always be a laowai to me!
    Who cares about those stinkin gay californians...i mean honestly...who cares what you wear....everyone should just be naked....ok..i take that back...wheres the backspace key...where is it...where is it....DAMN...

    well i say to all those who want to act as fashion police and criticise you for liking dinosaurs....LOOK AT MOI..LOOK AT MOI....i got one word to say to you...kath and kim...haha...GUM NUT EARINGS and shoulder pads!

    Its half past twelve....and i need to go to bed...going to kangaroo island tomorrow and will be enjoying some kangaroo steak

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake