Back on the map

I would first like to apologize to my virtual audience for my writing hiatus. Since the last time I have written Noël and I have survived administering and grading finals for our classes, another trip to the hospital, a trip to shanghai, and a trip around the world. Snippets of interest:
-If you are sick in China you go to a hospital. If you are sick in America you go to a doctor. Putting the language difficulties aside for a moment-- going to a Chinese hospital is an experience. First, it is best if you consider an enormous clinic and not a hospital. The hospital simply are not like they are in the States. It is where everyone goes, with every type of malady, varying in every type of seriousness. To get an idea of what the lobby is like take the former consideration and multiply by 1.3 billion. Think train station. Aside from the thronging masses, the arrangement is a little different. First, you must buy a ticket to see a type of doctor that you think will be able to diagnose you. The doctor will examine you, ask you questions, and then either diagnose you or refer you to have some type of test. First you buy a ticket for the test, then wait in a huge waiting room for your test, then return to the doctor. Then return to the doctor, and then hear your final diagnoses, take your prescription to the pharmacy and pay for your medicine. In the end, you have spent several hours, waiting, seeing, walking, talking with every other sick person in the hospital. Obviously they do their best to keep things sanitary and organized, but it must be hard when there are thousands of people going in and out every day.

-Of my 6 taxi rides in Shanghai, 2 were absolutely crazy. This past weekend I visited my friend Trey, and upon arrival stepped into the fastest taxi I have ever ridden in. He was screaming at me in Chinese well after I had given him the written directions, so I felt it necessary to scream back at him in English that, "I don't understand what you are saying!" After a little grin, he sped up to 160 and 180 km/h, weaving in and out of the 4 lanes of light traffic on the highway, only slowing for electronic speeding sensors. He got a tip.
Two days ago, Noël and I were in Shanghai staying the night again at Trey's house. Again, we hailed a taxi for the airport. In the line were three taxis, and the second taxi driver got out of his car and began loading our baggage in the car... and the following took place (all in Chinese, except for when I spoke)
Taxi Driver 1 yelled at Taxi Driver 2 for taking his customer. They yelled at each other for 4 minutes (Noël timed them). I told them I needed to go to the airport. They both yelled at me. Driver 1 yelled at Driver 2 while I finished loading all our bags into Driver 2's car. We sat in the car while they yelled. I got out and began unpacking my luggage, so Driver 2 stopped yelling at Driver 1 so that we could Leave. Finally, we were off down the street and around the corner. In a flash, alongside our taxi was the Golden Steed of Taxi Driver 1 cutting us out and forcing us to a abrupt halt. Driver 2 is even more mad as is Driver 1. We inch forward in line with our adversary. We inch backwards with a shadow. With skilled footwork and a quick shift into Reverse, we whip around the way we came even faster than before-- with a little demon hot on our tail. It was not unlike a grade school playground where the huge 5th grade girls chase after the pre-pubecent boys. He finally overtakes us 3 streets later after we both are convinced we are going to get in an accident and not make it to our flight. They yell at each other while I take action to escape the situation entirely. I empty the cab of person and luggage, and find that the trunk is locked. By this time, Taxi 1 has buggered off while Taxi 2 sees his victory slip through his fingers as I am well prepared to sock it to this guy for almost killing us. I pleaded with the gentleman to remove our luggage from the trunk, and because I got no response, I walk to front and remove the keys from the ignition and begin using them to open the trunk. He swiftly and forcefully took the keys back. We bargain with each other, and finally he submits to me, and we abandon his taxi begin our trek down the road to hail another taxi. We sweat so much that it looked like we had taken a shower in our clothes. After several minutes, deliverance was in the form of our previous maroon taxi. "抱歉 Sorry, 抱歉. sorry" is what he said. We got in, and arrived at the airport without any further incident. He also got a tip because I was too rushed to ask for change and I did not care to bargain with the dirtbag.

-China was so amazing and has shaped me in so many ways. I will praise God for His will that brought me to China, and for all of the experiences and relationships that I built along the way with my Noël by my side. Praise God from whom all blessings flow...

Comments

  1. Those are two of the greatest stories I have ever heard. Clearly, you are a huge dirtbag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Exciting times! In the ammount of times the driver spent arguing to keep you, he probably could have had 2 more fares!!

    Hope everything turned out well at the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Taxi driver #2 is worthy of dirtbagness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake