Particles and cheap food

I wonder what kind of things Galileo or Aristotle could have done with $8 billion. I do think that this kind of money should be spent on science, so I will be excited to hear some of the outcomes from the largest particle accelerator ever constructed. I simply hope that someone will be able to put the findings into words that I can understand.

Pearls for breakfast.
If we can't take the time out of our lives to stay a moment and listen to one of the best musicians on Earth play some of the best music ever written; if the surge of modern life so overpowers us that we are deaf and blind to something like that -- then what else are we missing?
A very interesting article about one of the best violinist in the world, and his experience playing some of the finest pieces of classical music ever written, on his $3.5 million 1713 Stradivarius violin, in a New York City Metro station.

As a student of business and a keen observer, I began to think about the differences in the food industries of China and America. I have found that food is cheaper to buy in China when you go out to eat than in America. Noel and I had a very good meal yesterday for kind of an Easter dinner. We went to a local hole in the wall and had some crispy chicken strips, fried and battered corn, and some cooked bean sprouts. The dishes were very big and we were able to eat quite a bit and have enough left over for another meal. When we got the ticket, it was only 20 RMB. This is very cheap considering you can buy the chicken at the market for about 10 RMB, the sprouts for about 2 and the corn about 2. The markup is not as high. Then I realized that when I am buying food in any restaurant I am not paying for a full health insurance plan of the workers, any type of 401K plan for the employees that qualify, or the maintenance of a comprehensive marketing campaign for the company. I am just paying for some good food. Whereas, if I go to Outback Steakhouse or On The Border, I will be paying for all of those things and even more.

Comments

  1. I, too, read the violin story yesterday. Quite the funny situation. I'm hoping that I would be one to sit and listen a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the violin story on the news this morning. Wonder if I'd have stopped....?

    Glad that ya'll had a yummy Easter dinner!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake