Off the grid and lost in the fog

It occurred to me this morning that I have not spoken or communicated with really anyone that lived east of Wuhan. For those who are wondering if we are still here, we are. Things are great. Somehow earlier this month the cell phone went missing. No real problem when you have only a few friends that live in your building. I can imagine it would be a problem if you wanted to contact us. I guess it is hard for me to empathize because I can talk to me whenever I want to.
I was able to see my students real expectation for me as a teacher. It is humbling to know that all they really want from me is entertainment. I would say that it is subtle except on several occasions I had students tell me flat out that I should teach something else. Oh well. I entertain them some of the time, but most of the time I am going to teach them what I think they need to know. But what do I know about speaking English fluently- hah. I have only been speaking it for 20 years and graduated with a degree in English.
Despite the teaching gripes, I must say things are really improving around here. Noel is being Mrs. crafty and painting up the apartment and making homemade bread. Being married is great-- really.
Also, the spring has brought fog into the area. I really love fog. It is so eerie (which is such an eerie word to spell) and is so cool to look at normal things through the fog. On Saturday, we went with some students to East Lake. It is a large park on the other side of the city. Evidently it is the largest metropolitan lake in China. The picture was one that I took while strolling through the nature area. It was a very peaceful morning.
One last thing: if everyone who is on my blog reading list will email their posts, that would be great. Seems as if blogger and China are doing the ole' water and oil thing, or maybe the blogger gods don't like me. Oh, and while your at it, can you get someone to fix wikipedia, because it seems to have gone on Spring Festival for way too long. It is time to get back to work.

Comments

  1. AWESOME picture!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey patrick. I hope you are doing well in China with your new wife. What a life change! I've been checking in on you occasionally, but I always forget to post. Seems like life is super exciting right now. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mean that you can't get on to any of our blogs to see what is going on? If so, that is sad! Can you read our comments?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake