Timing out and the meaning of life

As it turns out, I am currently incapable of checking on any blogger websites. Fortunately for you though, I can continue to log into mine and dazzle you with my adventures and adjectives. Since I talked to you last, I got hooked on Battlestar Galactica. Without a doubt, the best TV I have ever seen. I know.. better than Muppets Tonight, 24, Double Dare, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and even Sea Quest. I have never seen anything quite like it. High points include questing the meaning of life, what does it mean to be human, special effects that are used as frequently as deep characterization, great story lines, what it means to truly believe, idol worship vs. worshiping the true and living god, and that for 46 minutes I get to experience a real world, with real heros, asking real questions. Low points include the superfluous use of the annoying word "frack." But seriousally ya'll, you need to watch this show. It is great.
In other news I visited my favorite reading spot (on the absolute top of my apartment building) and dug into some Augustine of Hippo. One luxury item I afforded myself on my trip to China was the Norton Anthology of Literary Criticism. Today I was able to explore the process by which a word acquires meaning, and about three different types of words. Words that precede the vocal or physical utterance of words (thoughts). Words that aquire meaning from vocal or physical utterances (words). Words that precede meaning and the signification of meaning (the word that spoke into existance all things). The last word is able to create, even before there is any signification of that word. God said dog, and then there was a dog. I say dog, and I get nothing. We are left with is the meaning of dog in our minds, that is there because we have seen, smelled, touched the thing that means dog. My flesh has no power except to reflect the meaning of a word. However, if I had the faith of a mustard seed, I could tell that mountain to jump into the sea... Puzzling.
In the beginning was the word, the word was with god, the word was god. Through him all things were made.
Thank you Augustine, and the editors of the Norton Anthology, for helping me to have a splendid afternoon on top of my apartment building.

Comments

  1. Wow. Sometimes (actually a lot of the time) you are so deep! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake