The first day
The first day of school is completely different than for students. I used to go to class on the first day expecting to get a Sylabus and to see what I could expect from the class. Popular after-class-discussions revolve around whethere we think the class is going to be hard or easy. However, when you are a teacher, and are expected to fill an hour of half with something of substance, it is a bit disconcerning. I walked to class nervous about my delivery, but mostly about my competnancy. Because, really, who am I to tell these kids anything? Well, I am a fluent English speaker that holds a degree and English, and plenty of training in Business.My oral English classes should be fun and fairly easy. My international business class is going to be a bit more difficult. With oral English, at least all I have to do is make them talk, but with business, I am supposed to be an authority. But, I think that I will like this class a lot because I will be able to impart a lot of my experience with these kids. All in all, I walked back to my apartment feeling very confident about my abilities, and about all the classes ahead.
Highlights of the day-
-I tought 90 Chinese students "Howdy", and have convinced 90 students that if they say "Whats up" on campus to me, they will get extra credit. They actually will though, which is exciting.
-Out of my 90 students, 13 are male, the rest are female. There was much giggling and picture taking with many phones.
-I had one student tell me that one of her expectations for my is that I learn more Chinese so they can speak more Chinese in Class.
-I had one student tell me that she wanted to get a job that paid a lot of money, beacuse she was very good at spending money.
Oh what a year to come...
i pray that God would bless you both in your class and in your new relationships.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the deal with all the rabbit-ears/peace signs that the students are making in your photo? Does that mean something in Chinese culture? Looks like you're having a great experience.
ReplyDelete-DT
Howdy! That is hilarious! Taking a bit o Texas to China! By the end of the year you will have them saying "ya'll".
ReplyDeleteI agree with Caleb. You need to get them saying "ya'll"! i love that the girl wants a job that pays well so she can spend!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Caleb. You need to get them saying "ya'll"! i love that the girl wants a job that pays well so she can spend!!!
ReplyDelete