Tastes of home
McDonald's and I have had an intersting history together. When I was young, only on a very special occastions was able to endulge in the goodness know as Happy Meals. One of my earliest memories of Childhood was going to the zoo with my grandparents, feeding large goldfish, and eating at McDonald's. In many ways, McDonald's was a luxury and something to look forward to. In juinor high and high school, I did not forget McDonald's, but frequented Chapps instead. I wish I could have a baby Chapps burger this very instant-- it is why that was my last meal before I came to China. In college, Ronald and I had ups and downs. Freshman and sophomore year, I would go to there and get a small fry and two double cheeseburger's for a little over $3.00. It was through careful research that I was able to maxmize my C/D ratio (Calorie/Dollar) at McDonald's. My thinking was, if I am going to pay for food, I might as well pay for as many colories as possible so I do not have to spend as much money buying more food. It is why you look for cheaper petrol at the gas station. McDonald's and I had a falling out after I watched Super Size Me. I vowed never to eat there ever again. The remaining years in college were spent abstaining McDonald's.For the first three weeks that I was in China, I did not crave Western food at all. The Chinese food that I was eating, was great and I loved it. Then, one afternoon I went with my friend Daniel Ramburger to get some McDonald's. I order my first Big Mac ever in my life. I got the up-size, which is the equivilant to a regular fry and medium Coca-Cola. It was great. It was wonderful. For a second, I thought I was in America, until I looked around and saw a throng of Chinese. It was more than a meal-- I opened Pandora's box, and I am still feeling the effects of it. I woke up four nights ago, craving McDonald's french fries. Never in my life have I craved those french fries. But, in China I do. I do not think that I could ever think of McDonald's like this, but when I see a sign for McDonald's, they are truly the Golden Arches.
When I was in England, the guys I knew in Oxford were amazed at how much I wanted McDonalds, and when I was in Italy, it too was my comfort food when I thought I was going to puke if I ate one more bowl of pasta. Just wait until you're getting an ice cream cone every day just because you walked by...I really don't eat McDonald's very often when I'm in America.
ReplyDelete