Best of times, and worst of times
You know how sometimes people tell you things like, You are going to go through culture shock, or You know that it is going to be difficult? Well, people told me that before I was going to go to China, and I knew that they were right, but I guess I was saving the dread and anxiety for later. Now is later.
Is is a funny thing. You go from something that is ordinary and normal to something that you have never experienced, and it isn't that you go crazy, just that things seem to be just upset in lots of ways. I haven't locked myself my room crying yet, but I have begun to notice a change in my mannerims, and my normal thought process. I miss all of the learning and speaking that I did in America. I went from being able to communicate with anybody fluently, to being able to survive on one-word sentances that make it to where I do not starve. I have English speaking friends, but not hundreds of them. The language barrier is quite drastic, but I am doing my best to pick away at it. In a way, I kind of feel like Andy Dufrain picking away at a wall with a little rock hammer for 20 years.
I have tried to keep my head up and enjoy things for what they are, but three days ago I just had a bad day. I was traveling in 95 degree heat, stuck in unairconditioned busses, sucking down exhaust for about 2 hours. I was tired already, tired of the language barrier, and just kind of down and out. I guess I don't have much more to say about that day, except that it was just pretty bad.
But, things are getting much better. I spend monday out and about in Wuhan. This is a big deal because mass transit is conducted strickly in Chinese. Imagine that. I get pretty scared about the scores of difference busses that go to crazy stops all over the city. But, I still hit the town. I met up with a couple from Texas that was in Wuhan to adopt a child, and they gave me a carepackage from my parents. The package included a manual coffee grinder, coffee beans, and three different types of Lowry's Seasoned salt. After lunch with the Blackburn's, I did a little walking around. I got a fairly nice wallet for about 7 bucks, and then took a bus to my part of town. Half-way home I did a little sofa shopping. I am in the process of making my apartment a little more homey for those who come over. I didn't find a couch, but I did find a great chair. It was so comfortable and wonderful. The best by far in China. But it was 550 Yuan-- nearly as much as a couch. I might just save up for it because I have nowhere comfortable to sit in my apartment. As I was walking out of my final store, I recieved a peace that I haven't had since I have been in China. It was almost as if I was myself again.
Things get much better. Noel and I have decided to get married in January. So, when I return to China in the spring after the New Year, I will have a wife. It does not get any better than that. I have weathered yet another series of ups and downs.
Ps, for those who want my mailing address. Again, the Global Priority package is only $9.50 and will get here in about 10 days--
Jianghan University, International Programs. Attn: Patrick Vincent
Sanjiaohu, Zhuankou
Wuhan Economical & Technological Development Zone
Wuhan 430056
P.R.China
Is is a funny thing. You go from something that is ordinary and normal to something that you have never experienced, and it isn't that you go crazy, just that things seem to be just upset in lots of ways. I haven't locked myself my room crying yet, but I have begun to notice a change in my mannerims, and my normal thought process. I miss all of the learning and speaking that I did in America. I went from being able to communicate with anybody fluently, to being able to survive on one-word sentances that make it to where I do not starve. I have English speaking friends, but not hundreds of them. The language barrier is quite drastic, but I am doing my best to pick away at it. In a way, I kind of feel like Andy Dufrain picking away at a wall with a little rock hammer for 20 years.
I have tried to keep my head up and enjoy things for what they are, but three days ago I just had a bad day. I was traveling in 95 degree heat, stuck in unairconditioned busses, sucking down exhaust for about 2 hours. I was tired already, tired of the language barrier, and just kind of down and out. I guess I don't have much more to say about that day, except that it was just pretty bad.
But, things are getting much better. I spend monday out and about in Wuhan. This is a big deal because mass transit is conducted strickly in Chinese. Imagine that. I get pretty scared about the scores of difference busses that go to crazy stops all over the city. But, I still hit the town. I met up with a couple from Texas that was in Wuhan to adopt a child, and they gave me a carepackage from my parents. The package included a manual coffee grinder, coffee beans, and three different types of Lowry's Seasoned salt. After lunch with the Blackburn's, I did a little walking around. I got a fairly nice wallet for about 7 bucks, and then took a bus to my part of town. Half-way home I did a little sofa shopping. I am in the process of making my apartment a little more homey for those who come over. I didn't find a couch, but I did find a great chair. It was so comfortable and wonderful. The best by far in China. But it was 550 Yuan-- nearly as much as a couch. I might just save up for it because I have nowhere comfortable to sit in my apartment. As I was walking out of my final store, I recieved a peace that I haven't had since I have been in China. It was almost as if I was myself again.
Things get much better. Noel and I have decided to get married in January. So, when I return to China in the spring after the New Year, I will have a wife. It does not get any better than that. I have weathered yet another series of ups and downs.Ps, for those who want my mailing address. Again, the Global Priority package is only $9.50 and will get here in about 10 days--
Jianghan University, International Programs. Attn: Patrick Vincent
Sanjiaohu, Zhuankou
Wuhan Economical & Technological Development Zone
Wuhan 430056
P.R.China
hello there patrick! reading your post makes me think of when we studied the stages of culture shock in my international business class. apparently, you will get to the "sense of humor" stage soon and it's much smoother sailing from there. haha. just wanted you to know i have been thinking and praying for both you and your lovely fiance...
ReplyDelete