Things taken for granted

1) Never considering that our country could ever be invaded.
I am currently reading Breaking the Tongue which is set behind the Japanese invasion of Malaya and the fall of Singapore. Never once have I ridden my bike down Ambler or driven to the Parks and thought that perhaps a foreign force had seized our town. I have never considered that any town or established city could ever be destroyed by anything other than constant use or faulty concrete. For a better perspective on this check out Red Dawn (old school movie with Patrick Swayze), or do a wikipedia search on any former Soviet state, any country in Africa, or read clippings on the civil war in Boznia--because all of these countries have experienced violent wars in the streets of their cities.

2) Smells
Smells are only thought about in extremes--particularly foul extremes. Gentle rotten-egg smells in the Campus center, or the musty smell of the racquetball courts, or old meat-loaf smells outside of the Bean are usually overlooked. So, those are some of the smells that I have encountered today-- what about you?

Comments

  1. This morning I arrived at work to find that the custodian has installed a new air freshner in the bathroom stalls. It's so overwhelming (maybe just to a pg woman) that I have to hold my nose to go to the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty V-

    Astute observations. I'm excited about your upcoming work overseas. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake