Time
Three different times exist- past, present, future. This is obvious, and the following observations are based upon light exposurer to medieval and modern philosophy and theology (not today's modern, because it is now the post-modern).
The past is concrete and has contirbuted to how we are today. The future does not exist, how ever it is imminent. The present is where we live (present tense) and where we are able to manipulate our enviornment-- wordy explination of something we all know.
And thus enters doctors, cars, food processing, computers, mass transit, etc.-- things that falsely guarantee us a future. Granted, I do not imagine I will contract malaria from the Abilene water or a mosquito, and crap myself to death within the next week; however, death is as imminent for me today as it was for a paige during the Black Death during the mid-14th century. Whaet! Live today as it is your last, because we are given nothing more than the present. This is especially hopeful for Christians, because it means that we can live (present tense) our lives like we want/ought/can this very instant; we can love everyone that we come in contact with with divine, selfless love.
Praise God that I don't own a watch, and have stinky feet because I walked to school.
(ps. whaet is Old English for "listen" and was often placed at the beginning of Anglo Saxon texts in big font to get people's attention. I love auditing classes- you should try it some time.)
The past is concrete and has contirbuted to how we are today. The future does not exist, how ever it is imminent. The present is where we live (present tense) and where we are able to manipulate our enviornment-- wordy explination of something we all know.
And thus enters doctors, cars, food processing, computers, mass transit, etc.-- things that falsely guarantee us a future. Granted, I do not imagine I will contract malaria from the Abilene water or a mosquito, and crap myself to death within the next week; however, death is as imminent for me today as it was for a paige during the Black Death during the mid-14th century. Whaet! Live today as it is your last, because we are given nothing more than the present. This is especially hopeful for Christians, because it means that we can live (present tense) our lives like we want/ought/can this very instant; we can love everyone that we come in contact with with divine, selfless love.
Praise God that I don't own a watch, and have stinky feet because I walked to school.
(ps. whaet is Old English for "listen" and was often placed at the beginning of Anglo Saxon texts in big font to get people's attention. I love auditing classes- you should try it some time.)
Patty,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your words. It's easy to forget how important today is.
I do own a watch, but my feet are constantly stinky.