Too much talk

I am afraid that sometimes I get too wrapped up in semantics. Words are powerful and useful, but must be timely and effective in stirring people towards action; for accurate communication; for deep inspiration; to relate with fellow humans. However, words lose their effectiveness when used in abundance.

After doing a little research on Pat Robertson, I have come to the conclusion that he talks too much (by the sheer mass of publications, and official press releases apologizing for things that he has said (ahem.. Israel). It is my understanding that Christians are to be of word and deed. My goal is not to be that radically outspoken fool at work, instead I want to be the compassionate guy that is a little different than everyone else. And without fully going into the whole welfare and taxes debate, I leave you with words delivered to a conservative conference in 1994, entitled Road to Victory.

"And if you want to see waste, human potential squandered on a massive scale, look at our inner cities. Millions of poor -- in the past they would have worked themselves into the middle class -- condemned by an insane welfare system to a cycle of dependence, hopelessness, violence and despair."

Maybe you could donate some money, or earnings from your multi-million dollar trust fund, CENCO, which recently still "owns a refinery with a replacement value of hundreds of millions of dollars, on seventy acres of valuable Los Angeles County industrial real estate, plus millions of dollars in potential insurance proceeds, plus valuable reclaim credits, plus 100 miles of pipelines, and 47 operating permits." But I guess there is not enough money to dole out to the millions of poor in the inner city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake