Books
When my real dad still lived in Arlington, after my mom and him separated, on the weekends sometimes he would take us to Book Stop. My sister would always get a Baby Sitter's Club book, my brother would get something smart (he was always a nerd), my other sister I am not sure what she got, but I would either get a Hank the Cowdog, Goosebumps, or a Boxcar Children book. I would thumb through the pages, and read a couple of them, then add them to my selections.
In 9th grade, I made a crucial decision not to be in honors English any more because I heard you had to read a lot. I was in stupid English all 4 years, and made straight A's. I always like the movie Dead Poet's Society though because I wanted to be like Mr. Keeting some day.
Second semester freshman year, I added English as my second major. Who would have thought that I would turn full circle, and return to literature. It is something I believe in now. Thoughts, ideas, beauty, words, revolutions-- these are things that I am passionate about. I love it because they don't just add to the GNP, and can't be calculated or classified into different types of tax brackets. Ideas are something that can transform individuals into better people. Ideas like Christianity, charity, love, passion can be expressed in words and can enrich someone's life.
I don't think I will recommend any books to people any more; if they want to know a good read or what I am currently reading, I will be more than willing to share, because I know there isn't enough time in a 100 life times to read all the good books in the world. I will just stick to giving reports of current reads. I am currently reading Blue Like Jazz. It will probably make it onto my all-stars list. It is springs thoughts of love, unconditional charity, costly belief, and adventure in my mind. Huzzah!
All great Christian leaders are simple thinkers. Andrew doesn't cloak his altruism within a trickle-down economic theory that allows him to spend fifty dollars on a round of golf to feed the economy and provide jobs for the poor. He actually believes that when Jesus says feed the poor, He means you should do this directly. Miller, 110.
In 9th grade, I made a crucial decision not to be in honors English any more because I heard you had to read a lot. I was in stupid English all 4 years, and made straight A's. I always like the movie Dead Poet's Society though because I wanted to be like Mr. Keeting some day.
Second semester freshman year, I added English as my second major. Who would have thought that I would turn full circle, and return to literature. It is something I believe in now. Thoughts, ideas, beauty, words, revolutions-- these are things that I am passionate about. I love it because they don't just add to the GNP, and can't be calculated or classified into different types of tax brackets. Ideas are something that can transform individuals into better people. Ideas like Christianity, charity, love, passion can be expressed in words and can enrich someone's life.
I don't think I will recommend any books to people any more; if they want to know a good read or what I am currently reading, I will be more than willing to share, because I know there isn't enough time in a 100 life times to read all the good books in the world. I will just stick to giving reports of current reads. I am currently reading Blue Like Jazz. It will probably make it onto my all-stars list. It is springs thoughts of love, unconditional charity, costly belief, and adventure in my mind. Huzzah!
All great Christian leaders are simple thinkers. Andrew doesn't cloak his altruism within a trickle-down economic theory that allows him to spend fifty dollars on a round of golf to feed the economy and provide jobs for the poor. He actually believes that when Jesus says feed the poor, He means you should do this directly. Miller, 110.
Patty--
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you decided to be an English major but I've got a funny story from my Investments class with Dr. Griggs. We had just finished talking about setting up automatic investments and stuff like that. In the end we talked about how much money it would make us or our clients and it was like $250,000 extra.
Then Griggs says, "today we talked about how to invest and make $250,000 extra. Your english major friends talked about the colors blue and green and how it makes them feel." It was hilarious. Just thought it would make you smile.
What's funny about that to me is that Dr. Griggs' son (a classmate of mine) was an English major--and pre-med--and one of the greatest lovers of literature I knew at the time.
ReplyDelete