Spoiled Rotten
It is hard when you realize that you are spoiled. I am spoiled on Good-Ole-West-Texas BBQ. I used to think that Spring Creek BBQ, and their piping hot rolls, rib plates, and potatoes "All the Way" was as good as it got. Truly I was wrong. Any prolonged absence from Abilene always is followed by a trip to Joe Allen's to order some bulk meat, or a chopped beef sandwich. On days when Nick spoils me rotten, we head over to Lytle and order ourselves an excellent mesquite-grilled steak and eat on table clothes in a well lit, open dining room. But in my mind, I will remember the dark, smoky rooms of Joe Allen's, the picnic tables, and the mounted creatures on the wall that are adorned with years of dust (because it is all about the food- who cares what the room looks like). My delicious dinner is sitting on my stomach like a thousand little leprechauns dancing around a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.If you are thinking of seeing Four Brothers, do not waste your time. C+ movie, solid F for instigating thoughts. I go to movies often to see the movie, but also I use them as a springboard for thoughts, passions, and the wildest dreams that I muse myself with. This movie did none of that. Oh well, it was quiet, and it was a matinee.
I really miss Joe Allen's and Harold's too. Is that place still open? I would seriously consider driving to Abilene while we're in Texas in September just to get some good barbecue.
ReplyDeleteI agree that Joe Allen's is a great place for Bar-B-Que but I can't wait to go to that restruant that is outside of town but was closed the day we were there.
ReplyDelete