A means to an end

The morning's reading was an essay by C.S. Lewis entitled "The World's Last Night". If you want to know what it is about, it is a good read, and not too long (and all you ACUers out there, I am about to return the book to the library today). I am far from being an expert on existentialism, however, I have studied a few books, and written a few papers on that movement. With that said, I think I understand which car is missing on that train of thought: Judgement. When you have an End, with no consequences, you are left with pure existence, and no purpose- thus existentialism. When you have an End and a Judgement, you are provided purpose for living well. It gives you a purpose not to lose your temper with the Bubba on the road, to treat every visitor in your office well, persist with parenting a two-year-old, and wake up desiring the Lord's Will for that day- everyday.
"Let your waist be girded* and your lamps burning (*ready for action), and you yourselves be like men who wait for their master, when he will return from the wedding , that when he comes and knocks they may open to him immediately..." Luke 12:35-6 (a great chapter!)
Let us engage in the battle for the souls of Man with all the faculties the Lord has given us- standing sentry, waiting for Him to return. Huzzah!

"The doctrine of the Second Coming has failed, so far as we are concerned, if it does not make us realize that at every moment of every year in our lives Donne's question 'What if this present were the world's last night?' is equally relevant"
-CS Lewis, "The World's Last Night"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Systematic Cooking and the evolution of phones

Busy, busy, busy

Snake